Thursday, July 23, 2009

Times, They Have Changed

Earlier this year I became aware of a unique Twitter account. A family had found a copy of their Great-Aunt’s diary from 1937-1941. This diary was written in a line-a-day format when she was in her early teens living on a farm in rural Illinois. When they came across it they realized that the one line entries closely matched the 140 character limit of today’s Twitter. With that in mind a couple of the family members began the task of posting the diary entries to Twitter, one line per day.

For the most part this has been a very dry, boring account of farm life in the first half of the last century. If the entries were paragraphs I would probably have quit following them a long time ago, but since they are a single sentence each day I have read each post (so far).

Well, today’s post made me chuckle. After a week of posts about hauling hay and gathering tomatoes today’s post started with “Mamma went and got her teeth”. I don’t know why I found that so funny, but in the mundane day-to-day life of a farm girl it just jumped off the page at me. It also made me wish I had access to this type of journal from my grandparents.

Click on the picture to go to the twitter page and read some of the posts. To learn more about the project read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment